Pages

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Temple Goal

I used to think President Makai was crazy when he first asked our stake to go to the temple twice a week instead of just once. Crazy because people are busy, kids need tending, houses need cleaning, dinner needs to be cooked, and a million other things that could get done in that time frame.  I also thought the people who listened to him were self righteous and only going to show off.  Who thinks that way?!?

Someone who needs to repent!

I didn't understand until I started going frequently a few months ago. I've gone more in the past few months than I have in the past 5 years since I've been married just to give you some perspective. I try to go once a week even though it doesn't always happen.  

Some things I've learned about frequent (key word) temple attendance: 

-Being obedient to President Makai and his promptings about our stake brings blessings to the stake, my ward, and especially to my little family. Also, the person who I am going through for. 
-My kids love seeing us go to the temple. They frequently ask if they can join us and go in with us.  
-It takes a lot of work to get to the temple each week.  Satan works hard to distract us from getting there each and every time. He does not give up.  I try to remember this when feeling discouraged about scheduling and it motivates me to try harder and not to give up.  
-There is no better place we can be than in the temple. I used to use the excuse that my job as a mom required me to be home with my kids constantly and that that was more important than attending temple night.  I've come to realize that it's far more important for them to see me making sacrifices to attend the temple.  They need to know that it is important to me.  I bless them more when I'm in there and it gives me a chance to write names on the prayer roll, theirs included. 
-It changes me.  I remember the temple president saying this at stake conference and I'll never forget it because its true. The temple changes people.  I am a better person each time I leave the temple.  My perspective on things stays in the eternal perspective for longer periods of time the more frequently I go. 
-Satan works harder on me the more I go but I know it's because I'm doing something right. 
-Problems do not disappear because we attend the temple. We will just be blessed with the knowledge and patience we need to overcome those trials by going to the temple. I talk about this a lot with my mother in law. 
-No bad thing can ever come from going to the temple.  It can only bring blessings. 



2 comments:

  1. Nia, you are such a good example. I need to do this!! Love that you posted these things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm trying to document the important stuff amongst the whatever stuff since i don't keep a journal ;)

      Delete